The Golden Gates of Kyiv are an outstanding ancient defense
monument of the Empire of Kyivan Rus. They were probably named
in imitation of the Golden Gate of Constantinople.
Construction of the gates was mentioned in chronicles during the
reign of Prince Yaroslav the Wise in 1037.
This fortress-tower was the main ceremonial entrance to ancient
Kyiv. It remained the gateway to Kyiv until the 18th century
although over the years the building fell into ruin and
disrepair. The first renovations started in 1832. In 1970, a
pavilion was built near the ruins; it housed a small museum,
which was later moved to renovated premises in the Golden Gates.
To celebrate the 1,500th anniversary of Kyiv, the Golden Gates
were completely reconstructed in 1982. Another major renovation
was completed in 2007.
The edifice houses a museum devoted to the history and
architecture of the Golden Gates, and the remnants of the
ancient 11th century walls. The stairs lead tourists to the
Church of the Annunciation and a magnificent view of the city.